Registered foreign lawyers

If you hold a practising certificate overseas and want to practise foreign law in Australia you may apply for registration as a foreign lawyer.

  • Registered foreign lawyers are only entitled to practise foreign law and are not entitled to practise Australian law. Overseas admitted practitioners who wish to practise Australian law must gain admission in Australia.
  • Refer to Part 3.4 of the Legal Profession Uniform Law (WA) for the scope of practice allowed by a registered foreign lawyer and other relevant provisions.
  • The application form LPB Form A11 may be emailed to the Board, however, the original signed application must be received before your registration will be confirmed.
  • Applications require consideration by the Admissions and Registrations Committee which meets approximately monthly.
  • The Committee does not have the power to approve a registered foreign lawyer to practise in an in-house capacity as an employee of a corporation that is not an incorporated legal practice. However, pursuant to section 60 of the Legal Profession Uniform Law (WA) provided a foreign lawyer is subject to a restriction imposed under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) that has the effect of limiting the period during which they may work in Australia, and provided they do not maintain an office for the purpose of practising foreign law, or become a partner or director of a law practice, they are not required to register with the Board.