Complaints about lawyers

Your first option when you have a problem with your lawyer, should be to talk to them and try to work out the problem together. Often issues can be sorted out directly by discussing it with them. We will ask you if you have done this if you contact us.

Contact us to discuss your options for issues that are still not resolved. We deal with complaints about lawyers in Western Australia -- but there are limits to what we can do. Check here to see if we can help.

The best way to contact us is to use our Complaint Enquiry Form. You can also email us at or call on 6211 3600.

You should get an acknowledgment quickly when you contact us electronically. We will assess what you have sent us to see whether we can handle your complaint. Then we will discuss your concerns with you and possibly seek more information.

We will try and do this within 5 working days, especially in urgent matters, but sometimes it may take more time.

The Legal Practice Board is an independent statutory authority within the Western Australian public sector. It advances the administration of justice and protection for the community by ensuring legal practitioner and practice compliance and resolving disputes and complaints.